Delaware Information and Templates to assist with your business Plan
Find resources to help you make decisions on starting or growing your enterprise. Browse these tools, then contact your SCORE mentor to get help putting your ideas into action.
- Delaware Division of Corporations (DE Secretary of State) - The Delaware Division of Corporations within the Secretary of State Department is the official site for forming your business in Delaware. It contains a process flow chart with appropriate live links and information on different business entity types.
- Delaware Division of Small Business: This site is provide by the State of Delaware and provides resources from across the State including governmental and nonprofit agencies dedicated to assisting and promoting small business success in Delaware. Various business event calendars are also available as well as individual contacts at the State level.
- Delaware Prosperity Partnership: Delaware’s General Assembly created this public private partnership in 2017. they work locally, regionally, nationally and internationally as the state’s lead resource to attract, retain and grow businesses; build a stronger entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem; and to support private employers in identifying, recruiting and developing talent in the state of Delaware.
- Office of Supplier Diversity - The Delaware Office of Supplier Diversity provides certification for veteran and minority owned businesses. This certification may provide your business new opportunities to do business with State government and major businesses that are committed to assisting certified businesses.
- First State Community Loan Fund - The First State Community Loan Fund is your first stop for business loans and other assistance for entrepreneurs who do not qualify for SBA secured loans or have poor credit.
- $tand by Me (The Delaware Financial Empowerment Partnership) - A joint project of the Delaware Office of Financial Empowerment and the United Way of Delaware, this organization offers free services with the goal of increasing personal economic security. They provide personal financial coaching, Mind over Money workshops, Financial services , post-secondary educational services, and community referrals (for debt consolidation, foreclosures assistance, free tax preparation, matched savings programs, and home ownership counseling.
- World Trade Center - Interested in taking your business global and need assistance? The World Trade Center in Delaware is dedicated to assisting businesses in doing business world wide.
- Reference Databases:
- U.S Census Bureau Economic Statistics - Searchable economic survey data including the American Community Service and American Fact Finder databases.Pre-Business Plan Evaluation Questionnaire - If you can't answer these 9 questions then you aren't ready to begin writing your business plan!
- Reference USA - Reference USA includes 30 million business profiles and 220 million residential entries. It can be used for developing mailing lists and market research. This is a free service provide by the Delaware Libraries but you must be an active library member (there is no charge for this) to use any of their facilities or this online service.
- Delaware Zoom Prospector: This online database powered by GIS technology includes multiple layers of data including demographic, site and building specifications, labor, and business data. It is sponsored (access is free) by the Delaware Prosperity Partnership (click for access to site).
- Delaware Alliance for Non-Profit Advancement - Considering forming a non-profit business? The Delaware Alliance for Non-Profit Advancement (DANA) offers workshops, networking, and many other resources to assist you.
- The Foundation Center - Considering obtaining a grant to help fund your business? The Foundation Center provides information on funding sources as well as training and workshops on preparing grant requests. Grant funding is highly competitive, requires a detailed business plan, and is a labor intensive experience.
- MarketingCookbook_2016_0.pdf - If you are developing your marketing plan this document is a tremendous resource for looking at various options to include in that plan. Every business has a unique client base and needs. Sorting through what is best for your business, and what is not appropriate, is critical to your marketing success.
- Business Insurance - All businesses require some type of insurance. Whether it is for property, liabilty, inventories, health, or regulatory you will need to include insurance in your businesss planning process. This link will take ou to the SBA information web site which provides an overview of these requirements. Ask your SCORE mentor for more specific local information. \
- Food Business Incubation Center - The kitchen incubator at Delaware State University (DSU) is managed by the Delaware Center for Enterprise Development in collaboration with the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM). The commercial kitchen incubator is located in the Bank of America Building on DSU's Dover, Delaware campus. This non-profit offers new businesses in the food industry comprehensive services including certification in the SafeSev® food safety program and navigation of the State of Delaware HHS process for establishing a food service business. The also offer an incubator full service kitchen available as part of the program.
- Delaware Financial Literacy Institute (The Money School) - New and existing entrepreneurs looking for start up or working capital loans often don't realize that their personal credit status is critical for success. If your credit rating is less then pristine or you have issues managing personal finances, DFLI can provide programs and counseling that can help you regain control of your fiancial life. The Money School is a well respected source for personal and low cost financial counseling for individuals.
Nehemiah Gateway CDC Nehemiah Gateway Community Development Corporation (NGCDC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to provide access to financial education and services for low-to-moderate income individuals.
Learn why the age and depth of your business credit profile can affect your ability to get a loan—and strategies to help you build a strong credit profile.
SCORE's latest infographic examines the benefits of having retirement plans for themselves and their employees Read more
Marie Kondo’s approach to decluttering and tidying up, called the KonMari Method, can work for your business, too.
Learn how to use both print and digital mediums together, and in turn, drive sales, get clear on ROI, and modify as needed to grow a thriving business.
In April, we celebrate National Volunteer Month to recognize the dedication of volunteers in all varieties of service, including our SCORE mentors.
Using web analytics allows you to measure the results of your online marketing and your website’s effectiveness. Read this article for tips on website analytics.